The Copperbell Lighthouse
North Point Road, at the tip of the bay
The lighthouse has stood at the northern tip of the bay since 1851, built from local limestone and fitted with a Fresnel lens that was shipped overland from Detroit on a horse-drawn wagon. It guided ore freighters and fishing boats through the treacherous shoals for over a century before being decommissioned in 1974. A woman served as its last keeper.
The tower is open to visitors on summer weekends. The climb — 87 steps — rewards with a view of the whole bay, the town below, and on clear days, the faint smudge of the Wisconsin shore. The copper bell that gave the town its name once hung in the keeper's cottage beside the tower. It is gone now, but the iron bracket that held it remains.
On still nights, some say they can hear a faint ringing from the direction of the lighthouse — though the bell has not hung there in over a hundred years.